Thursday, October 11, 2007

Thing #4: Lifelong Learning and Blogging

Which habit(s) is easiest for me right now? For me, having fun at learning is a given because it involves the sense of (childlike?) wonderment I refuse to abandon. So two habits stand out:

Habit One: Beginning With the End in Mind ,and;

Habit Two Accepting Responsibility for my own Learning.

Why those two? Well, this is an opportunity to develop expertise with tools that enable me, both at work and home, to create and share all sorts of digital content, and that in itself is pretty exciting. I envision being a more savvy consumer and practiced user at the ending point, and knowing that I have not kept up with the technology, I am glad for the chance to have some "fun" at work as I learn. But in fact, I plan to do much of the practice/construction, etc at home during my later evening creative period from about 9 -11 PM. You may gasp and say, "What... on your own time?" Ah because when I consider that learning about the software has broader applications than work, why sweat it? I'm a frustrated creator--I want to post content! Also, with the routine interruptions at work, to be expected in a managerial spot, it's simply easier to do things at home. And while toiling at home, I don't have to feel "caught" if someone intrudes while I'm listening to party107.com when it's cranked up a bit.....

And what is going to be hardest?
Habit Four: Have confidence in yourself as a competent, effective learner.

Why? I do not often "get it" on the first or second go around and can get discouraged, especially if I know my peers have been there and gone already. Remember high school tests, and as you worked at answering the third of five difficult essay questions, you would see other students get up, turn in their exam, and leave the room. You assumed they got it and you were behind. Well it's not that bad but I do worry sometimes! However, I have never been afraid to ask for assistance and with the very talented staff here, that I will ask them to clarify or demonstrate if necessary before I move along.

And here is a confession. While I still understand the purpose and method of subscribing to an RSS feed, I think the mechanics are extremely arcane, and right now, please do not ask me to assist...Get the picture? "I'll be back..."

1 comment:

Jaye Holly said...

Welcome to the wonderful and wacky world of 23 Things! Keep your hands and feet in the vehicle at all times and enjoy your ride!
Jaye :)