Saturday, November 10, 2007

Thing #10: Image Generators

Earlier this year I created an avatar for my Yahoo account--I don't know why I went through the process--curious mostly. After selecting from the available options, I came up with something that looked like a teenager would have made it. I kept it but....something was not quite right looking.

Meez was cool. I created a semi-nerdy looking guy with a bright red shirt who was getting wild at the indoor techno club. The animation was fun.......although I could not get it to post in my profile and after 20 minutes of looking at help screens at Meez and Blogger, I gave up. It may have been excessively large but at least my Meez avatar lives.....You might be able to see it by clicking here: http://www.meez.com/phil_52
http://www.meez.com/profile.dm?uid=4314216
but it did not seem to work. One thing I am really taking from all of the Web 2.0 exposure is I WANT TO LEARN HTML!!

I did go back and customize my Yahoo avatar--he looks better now but I cannot import him into Blogger, and that's a Yahoo thing, not a techno-issue as with Meez. I'll survive.

Now as to why I would do this otherwise or on a repeated basis is a good question....but you are never too old to have fun. Actually I see the use for teen librarians to incorporate some of this movement and customization into programs or other sites (if we had individual web pages in our system...we do not).

Update: I had two more experienced co-workers try and rescue my Meez from oblivion --they saw him, but they could no get him live on the blog either. I'm not finished with this struggle just yet....

No comments: