Thursday, November 1, 2007

Thing #8: RSS feeds and Blogline--Most cool!

First, the brief video, RSS in Plain English was the best brief explanation I've seen to date about setting up a feed. It's not really that complicated after all but somehow the pasting of the URL always seemed arcane to me, so I played ostrich as the world moved on. No longer!

OK, OK, so I was troglodyte but after dabbling with RSS feeds, I am now a convert. In just a few minutes, I signed up for 20 feeds, and the beauty is, I can delete what I do not fund useful. I had the experience of having to update the feed from Rottentomatoes.com which I suspect is a common challenge--no big deal.

I already see the utility in getting feeds from my staff blogs--I can track their progress in this same project. Look out, Big Brother is feeding upon you! I also set up feeds for three book reviews (I wonder why) and my old hometown newspaper, The Albany Times-Union.

No comments: