Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Thing #13: Tagging and del.icio.us

I did create and account and I will add the del-icio.us search tool to my home PC--it is already on my work PC. I like the power of finding sites others have found useful and I appreciate the ease of accessing my bookmarks from any PC. However, I was disappointed with the results of my first few searches in del.icio.us. I got few hits and those that did pop up had been saved by less than five people. I was looking for high school football, restaurant china and ship modeling sites--OK, maybe that stuff is a little odd but it's useful to me.

Searching for "public library" produced much more and I found, amongst the libraries, sites for public domain photos, public domain fonts and public domain clipart. There are also the free texts and audio texts sites too.

From a work perspective, there is value in aggregating similar and often used web sites.

Off topic a bit--One link I followed was to the City of San Mateo Public Library. Wow! Talk about doing it right! I liked the integration of their site with other online municipal services and the overall design and ease of use of the library page in particular. They are even soliciting citizen input for the re-design of their website. How democratic is that? However, I could not locate their del.icio.us page???

I was more successful looking at Lansing PL del.icio.us pages which are quite useful. The long list of subject tags at the right is graphic illustration of the power of tagged recall and the ease of finding information. It's also a good indicator of the amount of time one must put into constructing a useful set of bookmarks.

No comments: